Setup Apache James
Following downloads are required for running James:
- Apache James can be downloaded from http://james.apache.org/download.cgi
- JavaMail API can be downloaded from http://java.sun.com/products/javamail/index.jsp
- JavaBeans Activation Framework (JAF) can be downloaded from http://java.sun.com/products/javabeans/jaf/index.jsp
- JDK 1.3.1 or higher
- Ant (included in the source distribution for James)
- Start James server using run.bat or run.sh. These run scripts can be found in james-2.1.2/bin directory. When you run the script the output will look like:
Using PHOENIX_HOME: D:\James\james-2.1.2 Using PHOENIX_TMPDIR: D:\James\james-2.1.2\temp Using JAVA_HOME: c:\programming\java14 Phoenix 4.0.1 James 2.1.2 Remote Manager Service started plain: 4555 POP3 Service started plain: 110 SMTP Service started plain: 25 NNTP Service started plain: 119 Fetch POP Disabled
- Now shutdown the server. A file config.xml gets created in james-2.1-2/apps/james/SAR-INF. This file can be used to change the administrator account and the DNS server address.
- Create a new user with username 'jmanage-alert'. For this,
> Start James server > telnet to localhost on port 4555 with the command 'telnet localhost 4555' > Login using root username and password > Enter the command 'addUser jmanage-alert jmanage-alert' > Enter 'listUsers' command to check that the above user is created. > Enter 'quit' command to exit the remote manager.
Following are the default values in jmanage.properties for alerts email:
alert.email.from.name=jmanage-alert email.host=localhost alert.email.from.email=jmanage-alert@localhost